ad U.S. Heraldic Registry � Registrations/Bassett, William (c. 1620-1684) ?




William Bassett (1620-1684)

Registration number 20090324E

This certifies that heraldic arms of William Bassett of North Luffenham (c. 1620-1684) which are the differenced arms of his ancestor Geoffrey Ridel are registered and described by the blazon below

Arms: Or three piles conjoined in base Gules on a canton Argent three bars wavy Azure.
Crest: A boar’s head erect and erased Gules, gorged with a ducal coronet Or.

Descent from earlier armiger

  • Father: John Bassett (chr. 1587) North Luffenham, Rutland, England

Design rationale

The shield contains the basic ancient metal of gold and color red of Geoffrey Ridel, the ancestor of William Bassett of Rutlandshire via his daughter, Maud Ridel, wife of Sir Richard Basset. Many Bassett branches adopted variations on these arms in the 14th through 16th centuries. The canton was adopted by the North Luffenham branch to reflect the locality of Bassett manor near the River Chater/Chatter. The crest for the Bassetts of North Luffenham at Bassett Manor was A boar’s head erect and erased gules, gorged with a ducal coronet or.

Registered by

Craig Scott Aberle


Personal, Ancestral, US, B

Roll of Arms